Thursday, August 18, 2011

Internship ahoy!

I thought I would post about my first couple of days playing harp at a prominent hospital. This hospital does not have a residential harpist (aka PAID harpist) yet. I hope to find some type of funding or a grant to help establish playing the harp there, so that the hospital can be just like the other hospitals...with a paid harpist. No hospital left behind!

But for now, I am a volunteer and working on completing my required 80 hours of internship in a hospital setting. So here are a couple things I've learned so far:
  • Wow, it's pretty exhausting. I feel like I'm a ball of energy being drained slowly throughout the day. I need to learn to properly shield and center myself.
  • I will not accept candy from strangers hovering over the harp.
  • There seems to be a rebellious string in the upper octaves. I got a standing ovation for tuning in front of a patient. Why perform, when I can just tune!
  • Take your free lunch voucher, every time. Even if the chicken salad sandwich has a bone in it.
  • I'm already getting tired of my "regular" music I play by memory and I'm only on day 2. Better add in some new tunes stat!
  • Wished I would have thought of something better to say than "nice hat" to a patient with no hair today. Oh well.
This is just a couple things that happen in one day. I played for 3 hours straight and I probably should have napped on a patient's bed in between relocating to another floor or waiting room (just kidding). 

Something happened today, that emotionally affected me already! A girl my age (30's) was coming out from her appointment and walked right past her husband. He realized this, was a bit stunned, and went after her. I watched as she broke down and cried in the hallway. I could only imagine the news she just received regarding her condition. :(

Again, I'm realizing that it's important to observe these incidents and provide appropriate music, or no music.

3 comments:

  1. oh, that's so sad about the woman crying.

    That's funny about the tuning applause though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top hospitals now usually have a ID card that includes a magnetic swipe when paying for their lunches, so look forward to that in the future. I'm glad your enjoying it there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to have you posting about this! Sounds like a good first day, all in all. When do you go back?

    And ha, I'm your first follower! =)

    ReplyDelete