Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Best Compliments

(Picture taken of me on 9/11/11 in a nearby memorial park. Playing my Christina Therapy Harp)

It was nice to return to what I love to do at the hospital today. So many people, so grateful, sooooo many demands for CD's!!!

I was thinking about selling them by donation only near where I'm playing so that I don't have stop and make change when playing. Besides, this might be more appropriate than "selling" them as a volunteer at the hospital (not sure if that's even allowed). I also like giving the option for people to think outside the "How Much?" option and instead, get them thinking about how much they would like to GIVE. Even if all they have to give is some crochet lessons. Sorry, couldn't help it.

I wanted to write a couple of compliments I've received, mostly for my own sake. Today, specifically, an older gentlemen let me know in a loud voice that he was "TONE DEAF BUT I STILL ENJOYED IT!" and another who enjoyed my music even though he only had one ear. He knew the harp I was playing (Blevins Irish Folk Harp).

Also, last month, a man in his 50's asked me, "What was that song you were playing?" and I proceeded to tell him it was one of my own ("Snowflake Wonderland" featured on the Christmas CD) and he said, "Oh, I thought that was Debussy!" and that was a huge compliment because Debussy is one of my favorite composers and that specific piece was meant to improvise nature and the weather we were currently having.

The best compliment, by far, has got to be someone dozing off to my music. No kidding!

In other news, I've been working hard for school. We just had a quiz due, and now a paper is due for February. In this month's lesson, there were some questions asked that we have to cover in the paper, and I wanted to try and write my thoughts about them here.

Who am I?

I'm a healer. I remember higher ways of healing (mostly through meditations and dreams) like being healed through sound in a chair made out of crystal, or through color (through chakras), and the most beautiful way - floating as a soul in a wave of pink/orange accompanied by sound. I have a desktop fractal picture that I love that reminds me of this (sorry I don't know the artist).

What do I love?

To laugh. I love to create music that gives us goose bumps. I love to create art that helps us to dream.  I love feeling at peace, watching animals be adorable and funny. I love comfy clothes and my electric blanket. I love those that have been my true family. And of course...I love my harps! And my accordion (though it needs repair).



How shall I live, knowing that I will die?

This question is asked because this month's lesson is focused on hospice care. There is a great phrase in Gaelic "Bos Sona" which means "May you have a happy death". There is no word for this in American culture. We learn to fear death. This phrase has meaning to it, that if you anticipate a happy death, you live a happy life. Indeed that is true. It wasn't until I actually started questioning death that led to my spiritual awakening. I learned much from this site: www.nderf.org (Near Death Experiences). I felt that I was learning (remembering) what I already knew in the first place. You'll find many common NDE elements that help awaken your mind to life after death. I read more than 1,000 experiences on this site.
One time, I decided to ask a question and then have it be answered by randomly flipping through books near me. My question was about my death, and my random book answer was given to me as "a happy celebration". How profound.

What are my gifts to the family of the Earth?

My gifts of music and love will be needed more than ever this year and years to come. Each time I visit the hospital, I see how people are starved for this beautiful therapy in their lives. I wish modern medicine would incorporate what we learned in the middle ages - providing care of the SOUL and WHOLE individual, not just a diagnosis, prescription or a band-aid. I am here to bring music and vibration back into current healing methods.

My other gift is one brought through much suffering. Going through that valley of death, hell and back, etc. I've been there, I'm not even sure how I am still here at times, and I hold the gift of personal transformation into that of love and acceptance. Though, don't ask me on a bad day, because that will be hard to believe...or will it?


2 comments:

  1. Thanks again so much for your beautiful CD you gave us. It's so relaxing to hear you play. I'm excited for your (hopefully) new opportunity at the hospital to play for moms and infants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I love the donation idea, it would be a great exercise to see where people are in the realm of giving. Thank you for sharing the answers to your exercises, too.

    ReplyDelete